What to Do when Dealing with Taxes in Two Countries

When I was younger I wanted to move south. I had enough of snow and slush and frigid cold by the time I was 18. Then I went to college and got a degree. I then went on to get a doctorate, and I worked hard at becoming a geologist that companies would find valuable to hire for consultations whether it was for energy exploration or construction. Now, after living in the south, I am working with a company to help me with Canada US tax planning for a year my wife and doggies across the northern border. I could not pass up the pay. It will take several years off of our need to work to retire. I really cannot believe they are paying so much, but I am taking it while the offer is available.

I know nothing about earnings and taxes when you are a US citizen and earning Canadian money. I can tell you about Canadian geology, but I cannot tell you anything about Canadian currency. My wife got a job as a teacher, and she will retain her tenure back here where we live. Our dogs actually enjoy the snow immensely, so they will be just fine. I have not seen snow for a number of years, so I am choosing my work gear appropriately. I will be out in the field and in helicopters surveying and reporting. I am looking forward to the forests of Canada and the opportunity. I have been an outdoorsman all my life, just in a warmer climate.

The company suggested the experts we hired who are going to manage our Canada US tax planning. This will make sure we do not have any issues with the IRS or the Canadian government. Taxes are hard enough when you don’t want to get audited by one country. Now two will be involved in our income.